Home About Us News Life Events Safeguarding Contacts
The Church itself, perpendicular in style, was built by Lord Ralph Cromwell in about 1440/2 allegedly as a thanksgiving for the Henry V's victory at Agincourt and it contains some evidence of a previous Saxon structure on this site.
It is in generally sound condition and well maintained although it has not been possible to carry out all of the recommendations of the most recent quinquennial inspection due to inevitable financial constraints exacerbated by recent limitations on fundraising as a result of the ongoing covid pandemic.
The Church itself is in a pleasant setting surrounded by mature trees in a churchyard that has been closed for burials since 1882 and provides a wonderful setting for weddings; one was held this last September having been previously postponed on two occasions due to Covid restrictions. The building is again opened on a daily basis having been restricted to two days every week for the same reason.
Collyweston Parochial Church Council consists of two churchwardens, a secretary and a treasurer, meetings normally being chaired by the Priest in Charge and has a regular pattern of meetings throughout the year as well as occasional meetings with other members of the Benefice.
Like the other parishes aside from King's Cliffe itself, a disadvantage is in not having a school with its children and young parents so we have little opportunity of incorporating them in our worship, but we do get a very good turnout of all ages for the Annual Carol Service which is usually augmented by the Benefice Choir.
Special Services are occasionally held such as a Pet Service and of course Harvest; those involved in the medical profession are often celebrated on St. Luke's day in October.
Collyweston, originally named Colin's Weston, sits astride the A43 Kettering to Stamford road, around four miles from that picturesque town itself. To the west of this road lies the oldest part of the village, much of it a conservation area, consisting of mainly stone construction with Collyweston slated roofs. These slates have been mined in the village since Roman times and, after some years when none were produced, are again being mined and processed in the village itself.
At the furthest west of the village is the site of the Collyweston Palace, once the home of Lady Margaret Beaufort, the matriarch of the Tudor dynasty, being the mother of Henry Vll and grandmother of Henry Vlll. This palace was originated by Sir William Porter around 1420 and extended by Ralph, 4th Lord Cromwell around 1440. He died here in 1456. Lady Margaret's tenure began in around 1486. The palace was demolished towards the end of the eighteenth century and little trace of it remains although the local history society is making strenuous efforts to locate some of the site.
The East side of the A43, as well as having several older properties has been the location of more modern developments outside the conservation area and is also the site of the one remaining public house in the community.
The former school which closed in 1995 was built along the west side of the main road and remains unoccupied. There is no longer a school in the village, primary children generally being educated at Kings Cliffe or Ketton.
The village boasts the previously mentioned public house, The Slater, and a community village shop run by a part time manager and manned by volunteers as well as a village hall. This latter is run independently by a committee and, whilst it operates in close collaboration, is nothing to do with the church.
In the parish itself is a well-equipped children's playing field adjacent to a pocket park and a SSSI at the north end of the village, the site of disused slate workings known as “The Deeps”.
The local history society has the use of the lady chapel as an exhibition area, currently giving an insight into the village's history and that of its illustrious previous inhabitant of the palace, Lady Margaret Beaufort.