St Nicholas' Church is open daily during daylight hours and sits in the middle of the village, in the conservation area, opposite the Pickled Village shop and the Queen's Head pub. The tower is surmounted by a slender spire which rises to 115ft above ground level, above the picturesque stone cottages surrounding. The church is built in the early English and decorated in perpendicular styles of architecture.
Inside the church, the north arcade nave dates from around 1200, the south arcade 100 years later. The font is medieval, near the organ are ancient steps which led to the Rood Loft. In the chancel, there is a sedilia with three seats, and a piscina with trefoil head. The organ, a gift of LT.-Col. Tryon in 1874, is a Holdich & Co organ, as are those in Easton-on-the-Hill and Laxton. Educated locally at Uppingham School, George Holdich was the brother of rector Rev. John Holdich, who was the Rector of St Nicholas for over 30 years.
The bell tower has six bells this enables us to use it as a training tower for bell ringers., we also have many requests for other bell ringers to visit and ring.
There are many splendid memorials inside the church, one of which is a marble bust monument commemorates vice-admiral Sir George Tryon who died with 300 men when HMS Victoria collided with HMS Camperdown and sank in the Mediterranean in 1893.
The stained-glass windows are in good condition. The English oak pews have carvings at the end of each row, most of which were carved by Revd J Holdich. Revd Holdich left a very succinct diary of his tenure in Bulwick, a copy of which is held by the church.
Our church services are quite informal to make all welcome to attend and be part of the service. We have an annual Patronal St Nicholas Service with Christingle, plus all the festival services throughout the year which are well attended. The music for services is supported by a visiting organist.
church is decommissioned and under the care of the . We endeavour to use this church once a year for its patronal service.
Unlike the other parishes, the PCC of Bulwick w/Blatherwycke is responsible for more than one church building. We also have two other church buildings, namely the Memorial Hall, now leased as a nursery called Simba's Den for income, and Bulwick village centre, which is the old school. This now serves as a community venue with toilet and kitchen facilities that can be used for social events.
Further to this, the PCC cares for two churchyards at each church, both of which are open.
Both Bulwick and Blatherwycke are estate villages, but there is home- ownership in older properties and new housing. The Estates rental properties can make for quite a transient population. That said, there is still a keen sense of community within both villages. Bulwick has three working farms, Blatherwycke has one.
In terms of amenities, Bulwick has a small shop named The Pickled Village shop, a specialist delicatessen-type shop nationally known for its preserves, the outside area serves breakfasts, lunches, and teas.
There is also a pub called The Queen's Head recently re-opened under new management, serving traditional 'pub grub' and al la carte menu. Both pub and shop are owned by Bulwick Estates the landowner being Mr Rupert Conant.
On the edge of the village is owned by the Singlehurst family; it has a farm shop and bistro plus caravan and camping facilities which is extremely popular and a great venue. Harvest suppers and other events have been held there.
Plenty of footpaths in both villages are in good order and are well used. The village of Bulwick has been by-passed which has made the surroundings very tranquil. The village is pleasantly situated between Stamford and Corby, the lower part on the west side of the Willow Brook was known as Henwick. It is not mentioned in the Domesday book but in the reign of Henry 11 (1154-1189) there were “two hides of land in Bolewyk and one in Henewyk in the hands of Bitalis Lovet”.
, grade 2 listed, has been the home of the same family of Tryons and Conants since it was built in 1676. The Conant family are the Patrons of the Living. renovated the walled gardens from the former Blatherwycke Hall, this is a stunning area and is open each year under the National Gardens Scheme raising funds for charity and well worth a visit.
Activities in Bulwick
Covid has restricted much of the events going ahead although some still were able to go ahead, The Good Pumpkin Event, Decorated Egg Competition, coffee morning, crafts sales, the hope is in 2022 to re-start Annual Horticultural Show staged in the church with six villages taking part, and other fundraising events, in the church and village centre. The Horticultural Show attracts visitors from beyond Bulwick, raising funds through associated raffle and refreshments sale
In 2017, Ecclesiastical Insurance organised a Great Community Mural competition for its customers across the country to create a piece of artwork that depicts the role your church plays within the fabric of the community. Bulwick was delighted to be the runner-up, with local watercolourist Adrian Duffin’s artwork putting St Nicholas “on the map”. We had postcards and tea towels made up to raise extra funds
Bulwick also hosts workshops to support the “Dress A Girl Around The World” project. This attracts knitters, crocheters and sewists from across the benefice producing items of clothing for those in need.
We undertake a variety of charity collections alongsidechurch fundraising. This includes collections for charities such as Christian Aid, The Children’s Society, Christmas collection for Northamptonshire Eve Family Refuge, King’s Cliffe food bank, used postage stamps for Air Ambulance, and local hospice.
Holy Trinity Church and its surrounding graveyard are landlocked within the grounds of the Blatherwycke Estate owned and run by F&A George Ltd. Access for parishioners and relatives of those buried in the graveyard is along the ancient Customary Church Way shown as A-B-[C]-D-E on the map above. Other visitors are asked to use the alternative route marked H-G-F.